Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Ooze on First

So, those of you who were checking out Worlds coverage may have seen something interesting, and a little familiar.

Something a little like... this.


(Side note: The deck was piloted by Eric Froelich. Coincidental in that I work with Eric's brother Andrew. Not that this gave me any insight at all.)

Yes, Necrotic Ooze. It's gratifying to know that I was on a good track. While the deck didn't perform to an amazing degree, I still really like it. Conley's build had a bunch of stuff I didn't (though Grim Poppet was on my brainstorming notes, I left it out for Carnifex Demon because I was worried about not having a target), and was overall more tuned thanks to I'm sure a lot of playtesting, but I feel pretty confident that I would have wound up somewhere near that list if I had needed to compete.

Just saying, watch this space; who knows when I'll be right again...

But I will say it's probably not this time:

WU Poison
Creatures
4 Necropede
4 Corpse Cur
2 Ichorclaw Myr
3 Steel Overseer

Spells
4 Oust
2 Condemn
4 Into the Roil
4 Mana Leak 
4 Tempered Steel
2 Contagion Clasp
1 Contagion Engine
2 Venser, the Soujourner

4 Tectonic Edge
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Seachrome Coast
7 Plains
5 Island

Just think, you get to run Oust and Condemn - the best removal! And you don't even have to care about the drawback.

Plus, Mana Leak ! And Venser is pretty awesome here: bringing back guys off Corpse Cur, killing with the Contagion artifacts, or just being the best Overrun ever.

Certainly an interesting, unexpected poison build, and apart from the Vensers, really affordable. Without having proxied or playtested at all, I still think it's an interesting experiment in doing something that you wouldn't normally think of. White and Blue don't have any Infect on-color, but maybe, with enough artifact boosting in Overseer and Tempered Steel, the colorless ones get there? And if you manage to find a way to play the long game, who knows how far Proliferate might get you.

So, until next time, keep thinking out of the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment