Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Infinity Gauntlet

I love infinity. The concept of something stretching out forever is just too enticing. Something that you will learn in math is that there are many types of infinities - an infinite amount of space, an infinitely series of numbers, both countable and uncountable. There are orders of infinity too; as a computer scientist, I became aware of the way we approach infinity: racing towards it exponentially or more, or slowly but inevitably reaching it.

But in Magic, I enjoy a different kind of infinity.

Okay, so there's technically no such thing as "infinity" in Magic. You can't make infinite Oozes with Gelatinous Genesis, you can't Fireball someone for infinite, and you can't make all your creatures infinity/infinity with Mirror Entity. As the Comp Rules say (in section 107.1.), "The only numbers the _Magic_ game uses are integers."

"But wait," you say, "I'm pretty sure that..." and I'm going to stop you right there. I'm talking now and it's rude to interrupt. And don't mumble. In any case, what you may not know (but probably do), in Magic and math alike, we can use an approximation. Pick a number. Any number. If you can perform a loop once, you can do it that many times. That's infinity in Magic.

Like I said, I enjoy infinity. Not just as a value, but as a concept. The idea that there exists and infinite space to explore and discover new things in. That's one of the things I enjoy about deckbuilding - trying something new, building on what's out there and finding out that there is always something beyond the horizon you saw a moment ago.

In that spirit... gaze into infinity:

Brainbots Assemble!
Creatures
4 Myr Galvanizer
4 Iron Myr
2 Silver Myr
4 Steel Overseer
4 Myr Battlesphere

Spells
4 Myr Resevoir
4 Splinter Twin
4 Spell Pierce
4 Stoic Rebuttal
4 Preordain
2 Mox Opal

Land
4 Scalding Tarn
6 Mountain
8 Island
2 Tectonic Edge

The main (or at least, the most fun) path to victory is by the sheer overwhelming force of an infinite number of infinity/infinity creatures. Do you see it?

If you have a Myr Galvanizer with a Splinter Twin on it and any one mana Myr, you can make a twin token( sadly, it's not a Twin), then use the mana Myr to tap the token and untap the enchanted Galvanizer and the mana Myr. Then you can pick your number and you've got that many hasty lord tokens ready to attack.

If that's not your style, you can still run an aggro-control strategy. You've got 8 lords in the Galvanizers and Steel Overseer, and Myr Battlesphere can come out remarkably quickly with the Myr Resevoirs. Not to mention that Myr Resevoir can reclaim any of your Myr that die while you're taking control of the board. (At instant speed, even!)

The Spell Pierces are admittedly a somewhat meta choice. Feel free to consider swapping them for Into the Roil or anything else if you so desire.

So sure. A bunch of little beaky robots. That's cool and all, but what about something less manufactured? A little freeform, maybe something conceptual, I dunnooooo...

BAM!!!!!!!!

Some Extended Elemental on Ooze action!

So I know that all the REAL Necrotic Ooze players are playing him in REAL formats, where Magic players are REAL Magic players and children's card games were REAL children's card games...

You know, the ones where you get REAL Survival of the Fittest.

Whatever man! Legacy is for chumps! At least, chumps who don't read this. Because I know all my readers are awesome people. And Fake Survival of the Fittest is just fine thank you. (And don't go telling her she's "fake")

Oh right, you wanted a deck. Well take a look at THIS DECK RIGHT HERE THAT I AM SHOWING YOU RIGHT....NOOOOWWWWWW.

Fauna? I 'ardly Knew 'a!

No wait, that was terrible.

How about:

Ooze and (Faun)Ahs 
4 Necrotic Ooze
4 Fauna Shaman
4 Devoted Druid
4 Corpse Connoisseur
4 Rotting Rats
4 Quillspike
2 Morselhoarder
1 Carnifex Demon
1 Godsire
1 Cinderhaze Wretch
1 Molten-Tail Masticore
1 Thornling
1 Sturdy Hatchling
1 Vexing Shusher
1 Wickerbough Elder
2 Makeshift Mannequin

Okay, I know that looks less like a decklist and more like a bunch of cards that I thought would be cool.

Full disclosure time again: It is a bunch of cards I there together that I thought would be cool. I haven't put a bunch of time into this; mainly it's a proof of concept.

HOWEVER: There are a lot of cool interactions in this steaming pile of awesome. With Necrotic Ooze on the board, the possibilities are, dare I say, INFINITE.

Godsire: Okay, that was a gimme.
Thornling: So many options! Indestructible is nice though.
Devoted Druid + Quillspike: A classic combo back for more.
Devoted Druid + Carnifex Demon: Can you say "Wrath the board?" How about AGAIN. AND AGAIN. AND AGAIN.
Devoted Druid/Cinderhaze Wretch + Morselhoarder: Infinite mana. Infinite untaps. Throw in Fauna Shaman and you are in business.

I will admit: I don't know much about Extended. What I do know is what I think would be a lot of fun, and what would give me a chance to explore infinite possibilites. And this is that.

And if you've got infinity, what else do you need?

No comments:

Post a Comment